Types of Restricted Data
- T-100 (U.S. Carriers) and T-100f (Foreign Carriers) non-stop segment and on-flight market data from January 1990 to date. Public access to international data of U.S. and foreign air carriers is restricted for a period of six months from the data date, except that U.S. carriers foreign-to-foreign airport data are restricted for three years.
- Passenger Origin-Destination (O&D) Survey. Domestic data are unrestricted. Domestic to International data are permanently restricted; however, an application for restricted access to these data may be filed. (See below for more information.)
- Domestic and International ER-586 (Service Segment Data) and Nonstop Market Report (Schedule T-9) data are unrestricted since 1997, although the international data were permanently restricted before that date. Collection of these data ended on January 1, 1990, when it was replaced by the T-100 data collection from U.S. air carriers.
How to Apply for Access to Restricted-Release Airline Data
All applicants must submit:
- A completed copy of the Certification to Protect Restricted-release Aviation Economic Information (PDF-75KB | HTML-8KB) (Note: the USER of the data is YOUR firm or organization unless you are applying as an individual and not on behalf of an employer) and
- A letter requesting access. This letter must include the following information:
- A statement identifying the restricted database for which access is requested: International Passenger Origin-Destination Survey.
- A statement concerning whether or not you and your organization meet the U.S. Citizenship requirement (see the back of the certification for definition).
- A list of intermediaries to be used, if other than the presumed ones listed in item 3 of the certification. The term "intermediary" includes anyone who will work with or provide you with the restricted O&D data including, but not limited to, consultants, engineers, attorneys, and data vendors. You must include the names of such individuals and their firm(s) as intermediaries if their services involve the use of restricted O&D data.
- A brief description of the proposed use of the data.
- A statement indicating an understanding of and agreement to abide by the protection and disclosure rules (see back of certification).
- A brief description of HOW the restricted data will be protected from unauthorized use or disclosure while in your or your firms possession, including the original media obtained by you. Provide an estimated date when your use of the restricted data will end (e.g., when your project or analysis and reporting activity is complete or your consulting agreement ends, etc.) and how you will dispose of the restricted data, including any media that has been used to store these data (including the original CD).
The completed certification and accompanying letter must both be signed by the Responsible Official, who is designated on the certification, and submitted to:
Mr. William Chadwick, Jr.
Director, Office of Airline Information, RTS-42
Bureau of Transportation Statistics, E34
Research and Innovative Technology Administration
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590-0001
Customers should submit completed certification and accompanying letter using https://esubmit.rita.dot.gov/Login_OD.aspx.
Questions about access can be directed to Ms. Ivy Harrison at firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail) or (202) 366-5235.