Supervisory Transportation Specialist (GS-15), Office of Transportation Analysis
November 26, 2021
NOTE: For this position, candidates must apply through USAJobs.
About The Position
The Department of Transportation has been recognized as one of the top ten best places to work in the Federal Government, and the Bureau of Transportation Statistics is a great example of why.
The Supervisory Transportation Specialist has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Direct the Office of Transportation Analysis, a BTS program that
- Identifies emerging trends in transportation and in broad social, economic, environmental, technological, or national security areas related to transportation;
- Identifies gaps and inconsistencies in transportation data;
- Interprets data on performance of the transportation system and provides consulting support to other operating administrations to help develop relevant performance measures and interpret performance data;
- Supports the development of leading indicators for transportation system performance; and comparable measures of system condition, use and performance across modes and geographic regions; and
- Leads the Department in international data exchanges.
- Supervise and manage a staff of experts and highly technical personnel in various areas of transportation, including but not limited to national and international transportation, trucking, hazardous materials, passenger travel, freight movement, intermodal transportation, and port performance; make decisions on work activities presented by subordinate employees and contractors and provide oversight on products produced by Office staff.
- Develop specific requirements, long-term strategic goals and objectives, and schedules of completion for tasks involved; review long- and short-range plans, resource projections, priorities, and justifications for adequacy of recommendations; and evaluate and make authoritative technical judgments on concepts, proposals, and alternative solutions to technical problems that have the effect of determining major directions for the Office of Transportation Analysis.
- Represent BTS in forums with other parts of the DOT, the OMB, other federal agencies, academia, and the private sector as an authority in matters related to freight data, national and international trade and transportation data, comprehensive statistics on transportation and its consequences, data quality and integrity and related issues involving the analysis, understanding and dissemination of transportation statistics.
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced professional with a history of managing successful teams and processes and delivering high quality products; should have strong analytical skills and be able to oversee the preparation and publication compilations of transportation statistics; can conduct analysis to provide insights on statistics; develop measures of transportation system performance and impacts; and respond to time-sensitive information requests.
The Bureau of Transportation Statistics is located in the U.S. Department of Transportation Headquarters in Washington, DC.
Candidates for the Supervisory Transportation Specialist position must apply through USAJobs.