Modeler (GS 12-14)
NOTE: For this position, BTS has Direct Hire authority. Do not use USAJobs; applicants should email resumes directly to BTSjobs@dot.gov.
About The Position
The Modeler will develop and improve upon complex transportation models at the intersection of statistics, economics and data science. You will plan, initiate and develop a range of econometric and statistical models to understand major issues in transportation, identify gaps and inconsistencies in the data, and provide research to inform policy. This position’s portfolio includes the Freight Analysis Framework (FAF) in addition to other transportation data modeling (e.g., transportation satellite accounts, long distance passenger travel, truck size and weight modeling).
Direct Hire authority applies to the Economist 0110 Series and Statistical 1530 Series.
BTS positions are telework eligible. BTS is located in the U.S. Department of Transportation Headquarters in Washington, DC.
An Ideal Modeler:
- Advanced knowledge of econometrics, statistics, and data science;
- The ability to transform current models and develop new models using the latest techniques in data analytics;
- Mastery of skills in applying advanced analytical, mathematical or statistical theories, principles, concepts, methods and techniques related to statistical analysis, decision theory, mathematical programming and regression analysis;
- Knowledge in the design and application of freight data and economic forecasting methods;
- Knowledge of databases on commodity flows, passenger flows, business patterns, vehicle activity, and transportation network performance; and
- Ability to identify emerging estimation and forecasting methods, methods for converting freight demand estimates into economic productivity, and application of major data sources to support freight analysis for transportation planning and project development at all levels of government and in the private sector.
Do not use USAJobs. We are accepting resumes on a rolling basis; email your resume to BTSJobs@dot.gov and please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. For full consideration, submit resumes no later than December 1, 2020.